Thank you, Greensboro. It's been real.

Anita and I in front of the Greensboro sign
A week from tomorrow, the time has come. I will be starting a new adventure in a new state, with new people and a new dream.

But today, I am beyond grateful as I reflect upon the last 13 years of my life. There are a few things I will be taking with me as I move, and I am not just talking about all the crap in my POD. I'm talking about things that are a bit more meaningful than personal items.

1. Lifelong friends
Greensboro introduced me to some incredible friends (you know who you are), who have seen me during amazing highs and absolute, gut-wrenching lows. I will never forget you. And I fully plan on spamming you with texts at all hours of the day. You will always have an open invitation to visit (uhm, I'm only 20 minutes from the beach, soooo...).

2. My Green Card
As challenging as some of my experiences in Greensboro were, I will be forever grateful for that little green credit card sized piece of plastic. To be able to live in the country of my own choosing free of restrictions is an amazing gift.

3. Listening skills
Several years ago, a fellow choir member encouraged me to go through Stephen Ministry training, a 6-month program to develop lay leaders for congregational care. This has been the most impactful development program in which I have ever participated. I have used the skills I gained almost every day, with advisees, with coworkers, and with friends.

4. Memories
I have been able to do and see so much during my time in NC. Work offered opportunities to travel to Boston, LA, San Diego, New Orleans, Vancouver and Austin for conferences. How cool is that? I was able to sing some amazing classical music (Mahler 2 and Beethoven 9, anyone??) and participate in a play. (I come on at 4:14) I did a silent retreat. I bought and sold my first home. I fostered 50 some cats. I'll never forget any of these things.

5. My cats
This is so obvious, I know. But yes, I will be taking all my cats with me. In fact, they are already in Virginia and I can't wait to be reunited with them.

I am a different person today than the recent grad that walked onto UNCG's campus for the first time on August 1, 2005. I'd like to think I've become more generous, kinder and funnier. A little softer around the edges. My hope is, that the next 13 years will present more opportunities for growth and learning, and more opportunities for service.

So, yes. Thank you, Greensboro! It's been real.

Comments

Popular Posts