High, High Hopes


I admit it. I live under a Top-40 rock. Like, I listen to CDs most of the time in the car, and only learned about this song while watching Bundesliga soccer one day this month. Nevermind all of that!

How true is this song for some of us? To be one in a million when we grow up? Our parents encouraging us as we dreamed? Not having a dime, but still beaming with a vision for our future?

Then reality hit.  

But did it have to?

I have had high, high hopes ever since I was a little girl in Communist East Germany. Not hopes of being a rock star, or of being wealthy. But hopes of changing the world one day. Of serving as Secretary General of the United Nations. Secretary of State (Madeleine Albright, anyone?). Of winning the Nobel Peace Prize. "We wanted everything, wanted everything."

The song says, "Momma said, go build a legacy." But for me, over my childhood years, my father was the person who encouraged me the most. Be a doctor, he said. Be an attorney, or a judge, he said. But I fell in love with languages. And still he encouraged me to get an education. I thought I peaked with my Masters in International Affairs. 

Once I graduated, my host mom gifted me this piece of artwork, saying, "I think you will be very powerful one day." I will never forget those words. On I would go to the UN. On I would go to change the world.

But my path led me to UN...CG instead.

A dream crushed.

Instead, I went to work as a university academic and study abroad advisor. And over the years, I felt like I did my piece of changing the world. Of helping the young minds in my charge. [Note: I loved my UNCG kids. Period.] Then I moved on to a director role at a different school, and finally resigned to thinking this was it. Ungrateful students, angry parents. No lives changed.

Then life threw me a curveball.

And now? I am climbing that proverbial skyscraper like that dude with the perfect hair in the video.

"It's a little complicated."

So here I am in my 3-4ish years Ph.D. program, and I am already stretching out feelers for what is to come. You guys?! Let's shoot for the stars!! One of the girls in my program wants to reform the entire system of higher education in her Middle Eastern country. Like, woah! 

This is getting me to dream again! I went in thinking I would be the next Associate Dean of Academic Success. A valuable goal, to be sure. But maybe, "you haven't seen the best of me?"  

And maybe I haven't dreamed the best of me? How about that!

So, yeah. I am presenting at conferences, winning research fellowships, serving in leadership roles. Staying "up on that rise."

Meanwhile, I am glad that when dude from Panic! at the Disco gets up to the top of the skyscraper, there is a whole band (with a brass section!) waiting for him.

"I got one more round, and it's gonna be a sight to see."

So that is your motivation for today: Don't give up on your childhood dreams. Strive. Pursue. Grasp. In my band room at Eastern Randolph High School there was a sign: "Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you will land among the stars."

And I, for one, am glad there is a band waiting for me on the top.

Warm wishes,

German Girl


Comments

Popular Posts