20 Things I Learned About Selling a House & Moving

I've only ever sold one house. My first. My one and only. And I will preface this by saying buying a house is far more fun! Selling was a bit more stressful. At least for me. That said, thanks to my awesome realtor the process went very smoothly and I didn't have to go to closing and physically hand over the keys to my first home. I totally would have bawled my eyes out.

Here's a few "lessons learned" from yours truly:

1. Consider renting.
For some people, this is a better move. Use your house as an investment with rental income. I considered this. But I did not want to rent from out of state. I did not want to walk in to holes in the wall every time I stopped by. And I did not want to pay a rental agency to take care of this for me. So, I decided to list.

2. If you're going to list, get a realtor.
So, if you sell a house without a realtor to a buyer without a realtor, you get to keep all the profits. If one or both sides have a realtor, the seller pays commission (usually 3% each). For a $200,000 home, that's $12,000. Significant, right? I tell you what though, it sure helped my mental state to have my awesome realtor on my side. She staged; got a handyman to fix things before we listed and after the inspection; arranged for a professional photographer; arranged for a professional cleaning service; managed each showing (only allowing potential buyers with reputable realtors to see the house, preferably pre-qualified for a mortgage loan). She would go before each showing to open blinds and turn on lights so I didn't have to leave work. She managed the listing, scheduled the open house, cancelled the open house and handled closing.
Before

So yeah. Get a realtor. It's worth it.

3. Declutter.
People want to be able to envision themselves in your house. So take down all the pictures of your deceased cat. They might be dog people. I started boxing up things I wouldn't need (books, knick-knacks, etc.) weeks before contacting my realtor. Take your time if you can. At the end, I had about 30 or so boxes of clutter in the attic. I honestly don't know why I own so much crap. I'm fully planning on donating most of it when I get to my new place. But I digress.


4. Stage.
After
My friend Jonathan came over and for two days, he helped me make each room look "just so." We moved bookshelves, rearranged the living room, cleaned out the pantry, and took superfluous artwork off the wall. We touched up some paint. There was not a single room in which we didn't rearrange something. The result was a beautiful, inviting show home. I appreciated his expert touch! Just check out the before and after of my book case!

5. Clean.
I thought Jonathan and I did a good job cleaning. I mean, he scrubbed the floors on his hands and knees. The house was clean. Then my realtor arranged (and paid for, mind you) a professional cleaning service. After that, the house smelled clean, too. Or, well. It smelled like bleach. So, yeah.

6. Do your research.
I had looked at my house on Zillow, and they estimated the value well below what I bought it for 5 years ago. So I checked realtor.com and they estimated way higher. My realtor had already suggested a number. I added a few thousand and told her I wanted to go in high and see what we would get. I wasn't in a time crunch to sell, and this was a very sought-after neighborhood. I also had made several improvements to the home (doubled the size of the bedroom closet, new bathroom vanity, two ceiling fans, insulated the floors and added a new furnace). Well, we got an offer $2,000 over asking. And it did appraise for asking. Nice!

7. If it's attached, it conveys.
You don't want to learn this the hard way. If it's attached to the wall at the time of showing (with some exceptions) then it stays with the house. Curtain rods, drapes, ceiling fans, fancy shower heads, bathroom mirrors, kitty switch plates...unless you specify in the contract or remove before the showing, they have to stay with the house. So, I took down my drapes, put the old crappy shower head back on and, of course, replaced my kitty switch plate with a plain one.

8. Declutter and stage some more.
The day the photographer came to take pictures for the MLS posting, my realtor came early to do a walk-through. We took everything off the kitchen counter. Everything. And tucked it away. It stayed that way until I moved out. We also took my nice big recliner and temporarily moved it to the bedroom, so the house would look more spacious. We took the litter box out and hid a few more things in closets and the attic. I bought bright flowers for the mantle. Done.

9. Keep it clean.
This was sooo hard. Do you get mail every day and usually just pile it up on the kitchen counter and deal with it later? Can't do that. Drink coffee in the morning and leave the mug in the sink? Can't do that. Got cats that track litter around the litter box? Can't have that either. It's a chore to live in a show home, but thankfully my house got two offers and was under contract within 24 hours. Then you just have to be pristine when they come for the inspection, etc.

10. Don't take after-showing feedback personally.
Your realtor will likely let you know what feedback they've received after each showing. First feedback I got? The house has an animal smell! This after essentially bleaching the entire house, placing the litter box outside and spraying air freshener like crazy. I was so offended. Livid. Fired up, even. Don't be like me. It's okay. If they don't like your beautiful home in your beautiful neighborhood, it's their loss. I mean...once the cats are out, the smell is gone too - there were no carpets or fabrics to trap the smell. But fine. The buyer whose offer I accepted actually complimented Foster, saying he was adorable. There. She wins.

11. Accept a good offer.
I got two offers within 24 hours. One, at asking, no money toward closing. The second, $2,000 above asking, no money toward closing. This was Tuesday. We had scheduled an open house that Sunday. I could probably have gotten a few more offers, maybe even some with more above the asking price. Enough. Don't be greedy. Of course, I had three anxious cats (Foster had already thrown up during a showing and peed in the bathtub before another one). $2,000 above asking was gracious plenty for me. So I took it, and within 24 hours, the house was under contract.

12. Start packing early.
I started packing as soon as the house was under contract (not counting the declutter packing we had already done) and I packed until the moment I locked the front door for the last time. That 30-day closing period comes and goes quickly. And if you're like me, you're going to want to purge and organize as you go. Take your time. Organize and label each box. So yeah. Don't wait until the week before closing.

13. Label each box to help guide the movers on the other end.
I was adamant about this. I had a system, and my helper followed it: first, the name of the room in all  caps. Second, the list of contents. That way, the folks who help unload your truck know in which room each box needs to go. And you will know what's in it.

14. You're going to need more boxes. 
I brought boxes home every other day. I got them from recycling dumpsters. Yup, ain't too proud to dumpster dive. A friend suggested using the local Barnes and Nobles, who had sat boxes aside for her move. Also a good idea. Anyway. I thought I had gracious plenty. I did not. Turns out there is always one more drawer, one more cabinet, one more pile of stuff. So just hours before we locked the POD, I went on yet another box-finding run. It was annoying. So, bring home way more than you think you need, and you might just be okay.

15. You're going to need lawn and leaf bags.
It is incredible how much stuff you end up throwing away during a move. Definitely, empty your city trash and recycle bins the week before you load the truck. I used these sturdy lawn and leaf bags for (1) all the clothes I ended up donating, (2) all the big unusable items I threw away, like those yard sale TV trays. So ugly. What gives? and (3) all the other random trash, take-out containers (can't cook, all your pots are packed in boxes!) and the last load of the litter box. Just have one (or two) of those big trash bags in the house and you won't need to keep emptying your tiny kitchen trash can every five minutes. And, once your city trash bin flows over (because it will) you can pile those black bags by the side of the road.

16. You're going to need movers.
I thought I could load the POD without movers. After all, I had two friends come down to help. And another friend pitched in for an hour. But three of us were not burly by any means. I mean, my biceps are mainly pudding. And once we loaded my mattress and the couch I was already sweating and laboring my breath. If you can spring it, hire professionals. I had asked a few more guys, but one was out of country and the other had just thrown his back out. No dice. So, on the other end, I ordered professionals. After all, it's a second floor apartment. I will just need to work a few more hours at my job to pay for it. It's okay.

17. Don't go to closing.
You don't need to be there. Your realtor can sign everything on your behalf. If you were attached to your home like I was, you may not want to meet the buyer anyway. And that finality of that last signature on the dotted line may just reduce you to tears. Just not necessary.

18. Splurge on a cleaning service once you've moved out.
We were on schedule with packing and loading the POD. We packed and loaded Wednesday, were going to clean Thursday and closing was Friday. Well, we had already slept on the floor one night because the mattresses had been loaded, and let me tell you...I'm too old for that shit. So the thought of yet another night on the floor after having packed and loaded all day (which was exhausting without movers!) and then having to clean up the disaster of an empty house (holy cat hair, Batman!) for several hours just did NOT appeal to me. At all. So I called my handy realtor (see point #2) and asked her how much her cleaning crew might charge, and if they would be available the next day. $150 and yes. Done! We finished up that Wednesday, loaded the cats and hit the road.

19. Don't forget to say goodbye.
You're moving. Probably out of town. Maybe out of state. Maybe cross-country. It's incredible to me how quickly time flies by. And your friends are busy. Have families. Are on vacation. It is going to be up to you to reach out and set up  farewell dates. And they are hard! I just had one today. We didn't cry, but as my friend walked away I couldn't help but wonder...will I ever see her again? Who knows. But I am glad we enjoyed a meal one more time.

20. Let go and move on.
I'll be really honest with you: I am still working on this one. As you know, I have been homeless since the day of closing and not having a home at my age is very trying. Once I land on my feet, I think this will become easier. Admittedly, I have driven by the house (just one time) and it did not feel good. The yard hadn't been mowed in a while and I imagined the home in complete disrepair years down the road and it made me sad. I know, not my problem. But I am human, and I do become attached to things and I do care. But with good fortune, I will find another home to make and call my own. The day will come. I just need to be patient.

Warm regards,

Heidi

Comments

Popular Posts