Paying it Forward

I'll be the first to admit: I hated that movie. So you do all the good in the world that you can, and you end up getting stabbed to death. Not really a lesson I would want to teach, as it would make most (sane) people shy away from doing good deeds.

I know. I'm in the minority. What else is new?

This summer, I received a refreshing dose of paying it forward (I think!). My sister Anita came to visit me after ten years or so, and we crammed in as much fun as we could, including 3 yoga classes at Triad Yoga. The last time we came, the receptionist told me Anita's class was paid for. I said, "This must be a mistake. I've always paid in full, but not ahead." Could she look again. She got a little irritated. "The system won't let me charge you, as her class is paid for." I was so uncomfortable with what I knew to be a mistake. But there was nothing I could do. She wouldn't let me pay.

Anita and I shrugged and went on with getting ready for the class. At the end of the class, after Shavasana, the instructor said, "And I have homework for you this week: do one good thing for someone you know. But here's the kicker: don't let them know you did it. Namaste."

Wow.

I translated for Anita and she shook her head in disbelief. That's kinda unheard of in mainstream Germany. My wheels were turning. My instructor was the only person who knew Anita and I would attend this class, as we told her last week. Would she have paid for Anita's class? She came to check on us after class, and I asked her: "I have a question. Did you pay for Anita's class? They wouldn't let me pay today." - "Oh, well, you should just enjoy that then."

Grmpf. That was not an answer!!! But, I guess I needed to let that go. And enjoy.

During my entire US-life, I have been blessed to be surrounded by people who paid it forward. Mainly "church ladies" (gotta love those church ladies!). When I was 18 or so, one of them treated me to an unlimited shopping spree at a department store. No questions asked. Loads of people treated me to lunch or dinner. I once asked one of them if I could contribute. She said, "not to worry. One day, when you earn money, you will do the same for others."

That I certainly have.

Paying it forward is one of those random acts of kindness. I love doing those now; it's a thrill to help someone in need, without them knowing about it. Paying someone's vet bill. Arranging a scholarship. Coordinating an award. Absolutely a favorite part of my life.

Try it.

I think you'll love it, too.

P.S. Need ideas? Try giving a Christmas present to someone who doesn't expect it. Write a card to a shut-in. Hand your credit card to the waiter without your dinner guest knowing. Tip 100% to a Great Clips stylist (what's that, like $10?). Offer to babysit on a Friday night. Rake your neighbors leaves when they're out of town.

Does anyone else have ideas?


Comments

Popular Posts