Addressing the Faculty

It's been a while since I've been on stage, and I miss it. I was in three productions in undergrad in this beautiful, opera house-like facility. And I loved every minute of it. Today, I was back on that same stage in my new role as Director of Study Abroad, tasked to give the (whole) faculty an update on my office.

Here's how it went...completely unscripted.

"Good morning. Glad you're back on campus - it's been lonely without you here... My name is Heidi Fischer, and I am the Director of Study Abroad, and I've been here for about five months.

"While Dr. Allen was reminiscing earlier, I was having a violent flashback (pause) about Dean Wehrley screaming at me during Financial Management class. (light laughter) I guess the culture of this school has changed a lot since I was a student here." (violent laughter, one of our mottoes is a 'caring environment.')

Dean Wehrley jumps up in the second row (I hadn't even seen him) and screams "What?!?!" with his fist in the air. I jump to the right of the podium away from him. The house is in stitches. I 'recover.'

"And now he wants to take a trip to China...well, we'll just see about that." (the house dies laughing, I sign a heart shape with my fingers toward the dean and continue with my little presentation).

Gosh, that was fun. Such a rush to have several hundred people in the palm of your hands. I followed with updates, highlighting a program, goals, and requests for announcements and class presentations. I got 5 follow-up e-mails, 2 requesting a class presentations before the end of the day.

Finally, something I am good at in this new role!

Comments

Popular Posts